Congratulations to the Excellence in Tourism Award Winners
Release Date: Feb 07, 2017
During the 2017 Explore Minnesota Tourism Conference, several individuals, organizations and tourism businesses were recognized at the annual Excellence in Tourism Awards banquet for their contributions to the state’s $14.4 billion travel industry.
Steve Markuson, director of Twin Cities Gateway, was named “Outstanding Individual in Tourism” for his long-term work on behalf of the Minnesota tourism industry.
Linda Jurek, executive director of Visit Cook County, was named “Rising Star” for her strong work in promoting the area.
Additional awards presented were:
Attraction of the Year:
- Award of Excellence: Glensheen, Duluth
- Award of Merit: Fagen Fighters WWII Museum, Granite Falls
- Award of Merit: Spam Museum of Austin
Event of the Year:
- Award of Excellence: Lutsen99er, Cook County
- Award of Merit: Lake Superior Storm Festival, Cook County
- Award of Merit: Middle River Goose Festival, Middle River
Marketing Awards of Excellence:
- Minne-Roadtrip: Multi-community branding effort featuring Faribault, Owatonna and Northfield
- Otter Tail Lakes Country Tourism Association: Video marketing campaign
- Visit Bemidji: New website
- Visit Winona: Branding effort featuring videos
New this year, the Minnesota Signature Event Award was presented to TBEX (the world's largest gathering of travel bloggers, writers, new media content creators, and social media savvy travel industry professionals) and the Ryder Cup of Minnesota (a biennial golf competition between teams from the United States and Europe) for the broad coalitions they brought together, significant travel dollars generated to the state of Minnesota, and the substantial national and international media exposure these events generated.