Lake Country Scenic Byway
Phone: (218) 732-4111
Toll Free: 800-247-0054
The headwaters of the Mississippi River in Itasca State Park are a Minnesota Mecca, but this lake-splashed area has loads of other worthy attractions, from lodges and resorts with inviting restaurants, to excellent bird watching, golfing, miles of hiking and biking trails, art galleries, music festivals and road-side diners.
Approximately 3 ½ hours north of the Twin Cities, the 88-mile Lake Country Scenic drive travels a segment of Minnesota's Pine to Prairie Birding Trail, and also connects three "anchor" towns: Walker, Park Rapids and Detroit Lakes.
Itascaand the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge are good places for bird watching. Visit a small art museum in Park Rapids and a gallery of Indian art in Detroit Lakes. There are hundreds of lakeside resorts and campgrounds.
- Directions to Facility / Event: Hwy 34 E from Detroit Lakes to Walker. Hwy 71 N from Park Rapids to Itasca State Park
Other Date Information
- Additional Date Information: Visitor Center located on Hwy 71 South in Park RapidsOpen 24/7
- Additional Rate Information: Lodging packages and hot deals available at www.parkrapids.com;www.visitdetroitlakes.com;www.leech-lake.com
- Desc of Green Practices in Place: Park Rapids Lakes are is a Green Region. Most of our Resorts, Motels, B&B's,restaurants and businesses use green practices as does Itasca State Park, Tamarac National Wildlife refuge and the Chippewa National Forest.
- Waste Reduction/Reuse/Recycling
- Water Conservation/Wastewater Mgmt Plan
Show MoreShow Less
- Energy Efficiency/Conservation
- Air Quality Improvements
- Eco-Friendly Landscape/Facility Design
- Transportation-Related Policies or Programs
- Eco-Friendly Purchasing Practices
- Organic or Local Food & Beverage Choices
- Accessible to Disabled
- Can Accommodate Groups of 45 or more
- Hwy. 34 between Detroit Lakes and Walker, and a spur north from Park Rapids to Itasca State Park on Hwy. 71.
- Pine-hardwood forest and numerous lakes, interspersed with meadows and farmland.