This route was once used by voyageurs and loggers through the Chippewa National Forest, over rolling hills, and past bogs and fishing lakes. Much of the 47-mile drive that connects Grand Rapids to Effie was reconstructed in recent years, promising a smooth ride and spectacular scenery - from historic sites and lumberjack-influenced small towns to bald eagles and balsam firs.
Find numerous resorts and campgrounds around Marcell, where the ranger station for the Chippewa National Forest is located, and Grand Rapids, and the neighboring lakes. There are several hiking trails, including one that leads to the old Joyce Estate, once a millionaire's vacation hideaway.
Grand Rapids is home to the Judy Garland Museum and Judy's childhood home. At the Forest History Center, you can tour a reconstructed 1900 logging camp and learn about forestry. Check for concerts or plays at the Myles Reif Performing Arts Center.
View Along This Route
- Byway begins at intersection of US Hwy 2 & trunk Hwy 38 in downtown Grand Rapids, proceeds N to Effie MN.
Other Date Information
- Year round. 24 hours daily.
- Accessible to Disabled
- Can Accommodate Groups of 45 or more
- 47 miles
- Hwy. 38 between Grand Rapids and Effie.
- Pine and hardwood forest, lakes, rolling hills.