Follow the lush Root River Valley and wind your way through what feels like a landscape painting of woodsy hills and dramatic dolomite bluffs, marked with the tranquil silhouette of a lone Amish buggy. Explore the Root River Trail by bike, stopping for pie or lunch in a trail town along the way. Or, enjoy the same route on the river; the main towns and campgrounds have outfitters for kayak, canoe and tube rentals, as well as bike rentals.
Bluff country is also a great place for fishing, with many trout streams winding through the area. At a state park, naturalists lead tours of Mystery Cave and costumed interpreters portray life in 1899 Historic Forestville. Amish buggies are a common sight on these country roads. Lodging runs the gamut, from cozy B&Bs to rustic hideaway cabins to elegant retreats with specialty cuisine and rooms with expansive valley views.
View Along This Route
Other Date Information
- The Historic Scenic Byway Highway 16 is only one of 5 incredible scenic drives in Southeastern Minnesota. Take time to take them ALL in!
- Desc of Green Practices in Place: Recycled plastic, glass, metal and paper throughout the region
- Waste Reduction/Reuse/Recycling
- Water Conservation/Wastewater Mgmt Plan
- Energy Efficiency/Conservation
- Air Quality Improvements
- Eco-Friendly Landscape/Facility Design
- Organic or Local Food & Beverage Choices
- Accessible to Disabled
- Can Accommodate Groups of 45 or more
- 88 miles
- Hwy. 16 between LaCrescent and Dexter, small loop on US-52 and MN-80 also connects Wykoff and Fountain; a scenic alternative to I-90.
- Wooded bluffs, Root River, charming villages, pastures and fields.