American Swedish Institute2600 Park Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55407-1090
American Swedish Institute has a free, adjacent parking lot for its patrons. Please enter the Nelson Cultural Center (which adjoins with the Turnblad Mansion) building from the lot, using the door that faces south.Get Directions
The American Swedish Institute (ASI) is a vibrant museum and cultural center comprised of the landmark 1908 Turnblad Mansion (Minneapolis’ only castle) and the Nelson Cultural Center. ASI hosts art exhibitions, programs, family activities and special events connected to contemporary Nordic culture and heritage. The ASI Museum Store offers an array of curated Nordic and Nordic-inspired items and FIKA, ASI's award-winning café, focuses on New Nordic cuisine.
Hours & Dates
- Thursday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
FIKA open 8:30am-5pm Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays; 8:30am-8pm Wednesdays, 11am-5pm Sundays. Full service menu from 11am-3pm (11-8 Wednesdays).
- Senior (62+) Museum Admission: $8.00
- Student (age 6-18) Museum Admission: $6.00
- Adult Museum Admission: $12.00
Museum admission: $12 adults; $8 ages 62+; $6 ages 6-18 and students with ID; FREE for ASI members and children ages 5 and under.
Minnesota's first LEED Gold Certified Museum! Features include 2 green roofs, 2 bee hives and 96 geothermal wells.
- Eco-friendly landscape/facility design
- Eco-friendly purchasing practices
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Organic or local food & beverage choices
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Water conservation/wastewater management plan
- Accessible to disabled
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
- Scandinavian heritage
Meetings & Conferences
- Banquet facilities maximum capacity: 250
- Exhibit space (sq ft): 35000
- Facility accommodates meetings for 30 or more
- Meeting/convention facilities maximum capacity: 1000
- Number of meeting rooms: 11
- On-site catering required
A cousin and I spent several hours here, touring this landmark and getting in touch with our Scandinavian roots. The docents are knowledgeable. I hope to return sometime when they offer live music...
— fidl2ns, October 25, 2022
Interesting history of Swedish immigration and culture! The woodwork and heating stoves are stunning. We had an excellent tour with a very knowledgeable volunteer who took their time with Interesting...
— Carmin M, October 9, 2022
ASI is really just a restored mansion formerly belonging to one of Minneapolis' most famous Swedish - American citizens, Swan Turnblad. Nice way to spend a couple of hours while on vacation, but I...
— ChrislandCove, September 6, 2022
Authentic and so wonderfully different! Wife and I went for the tour but decided to do lunch at Fika inside the Institute. Authentic Swedish food so be adventurous! We each had a different flavor of...
— Michael M, August 21, 2022
I brought young kids, a 9 year old, a kindergartner, and a pre-schooler. The target audience of the museum is a bit older than them but the playroom in the basement was a hit. The 9 year old did...
— BrettG70, August 20, 2022