Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park21071 County 118
Preston, MN 55965
From the junction of MN T.H. 16 and Fillmore CSAH #5, South on CSAH #5 for four miles, then follow signs.Get Directions
The park features a rugged wooded landscape with blue ribbon trout streams, 17 mi of hiking trails and 15 miles of horseback trails, campgrounds, picnicking and abundant plant and animal life. Mystery Cave is located in the State Park and offers guided tours daily in the summer months. Minnesota's longest known cave, with stalactites, stalagmites, flowstone, and beautiful underground pools, and a maze of interconnecting passages. Modern lighting and walkways enhance accessible tours.
Contact the park for ADA accessible tours and visit our website for more information. Interpretive programs are presented on the weekends in the summer months.
Historic Forestville is a living history village site operated by the Minnesota Historical Society with tours available on the weekends in the summer months.
Park permits: $35 annual, $26 second vehicle, $12 handicapped, or $7 daily. Camping fees are separate.
Phone reservations can be made by calling 866-857-2757.
- Open in fall
- Open in winter
- Open in summer
On-Site Facilities & Services
- Children's programs (scheduled, supervised)
- Evening entertainment (regularly scheduled)
- Located on a lake or river
- Cross-country ski trail (groomed)
- Hiking trail
- Snowmobile trail (groomed)
- Eco-friendly landscape/facility design
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
Number/Type of Campsites
- Number of camping cabins: 5
- Number of camping cabins available in winter: 5
- Number of sites in horseback camp area: 55
- Number of tent or RV/trailer sites: 73
- Total number of campsites: 128
- Camping accessible to people with disabilities
- Flush toilets in campground
- Group camp facilities
- Hot showers in campground
- Lodge/central building
- Pets allowed in campsite
- Pull-through sites
- Sanitary dump station
- Secluded campsites
- State Parks Campgrounds
- Wheelchair accessible entrance
- Wheelchair accessible parking
- Wheelchair accessible restrooms
- Wheelchair-friendly inside walkways
- Other Accessibility Features: The 1 hour "Scenic Tour" of Mystery Cave is stroller- and wheelchair-accessible, it involves 3/4 mile of walking on modern paved trails and metal bridges.
Length of Stay
- Daily site rental
Good trip. We arrived at approximately 7 am and made our way towards the entrance of the trail. We opted to explore Mystery Cave State Park first and hiked on a trail called Maple Ridge Trail Loop...
— PartyTheNightAway, September 2, 2023
We have traveled and camped at this park for over 35 years. This years experience was awful. The bathrooms and showers are filthy and seriously need seriously. The sites are not cared for as far...
— marycT6651XF, August 24, 2023
When checking in for our cave tour, the older woman working at the desk was so rude to us. She treated us like ignorant idiots that had never been to a park before. As a former park employee and...
— eva d, July 26, 2023
The cave tour was super cool and my family loved it. The park ranger at the park office didn’t warn us that the bridge on county road 61 was out, so we had to find are own detour to tour historic...
— Rebecca K, July 23, 2023
Took two hr geology tour. The cave is long, slippery, not cold. The guide was knowledgeable. I felt one would be enough
— Dan O, May 28, 2023