Lake Superior Railroad Museum506 W Michigan St
Duluth, MN 55802
Located in downtown Duluth at the intersection of 5th Ave W and Michigan St. just off of I-35.Get Directions
Voted by USA Today as the "BEST Transportation Museum in America" The Lake Superior Railroad Museum is a family friendly destination for railroad enthusiasts and historians young and old.
The collection includes the world's most powerful steam locomotives (the Mallet), the first steam engine in Minnesota (the William A. Crooks), one of the nation's largest displays of dining car china, cabooses, freight cars, a railway post office and much more! The Museum is housed in the historic Union Depot in downtown Duluth, a building on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tours feature interactive exhibits, two working collections of model trains and during the holiday season, an exhibit of Lionel toy trains. In summer and fall months ride a vintage electric trolley past Depot Square, an exhibit of 22 replicated storefronts based on Duluth in 1910. Guided tours are available.
Complete your experience with an unforgettable Lakefront Ride on the museum's excursion train on the North Shore Scenic Railroad running May through Mid October.
Hours & Dates
Summer Hours (May 25 - September 7)
- Monday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Winter Hours (September 7 - May 31)
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Closed Thanksgiving & Christmas Day.
$12 Adults; $6 Children
- Air quality improvements
- Eco-friendly landscape/facility design
- Eco-friendly purchasing practices
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Organic or local food & beverage choices
- Transportation-related policies or programs
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Water conservation/wastewater management plan
- Accessible to disabled
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
Meetings & Conferences
- Banquet facilities maximum capacity: 250
- Catering available
- Commercial air service nearby
- Exhibit space (sq ft): 5000
- Facility accommodates meetings for 30 or more
- Largest meeting room (sq ft): 1000
- Meeting/convention facilities maximum capacity: 45
- Number of meeting rooms: 5
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 435 reviews
We enjoyed a train ride here. To ensure there are not too many people waiting in the depot for the train ride, they have opened the Railroad Museum for FREE. My grandkids loved going through it!!
— Lori S, October 26, 2020
My wife and I came here mainly because of the ride on the North Shore Scenic Railroad. Being that I’m a huge train fan, it was great to see all the different equipment on display. Since we rode on...
— Illinois Valley R, October 13, 2020
The museum was interesting, but I didn't allow enough time before the North Shore Train ride to really see it all and read the historic information.
— Photowanderer_NWF, October 5, 2020
I especially enjoyed the steam locomotives. Interesting stories about the trains. Wanted to go on one to Two Harbors but couldn't because of the Covid virus. Was cancelled. Hopefully next summer!
— stacyk729, August 30, 2020
This place was great! It kept my husband entertained for hours. He was thrilled and intrigued by everything he saw. I got to hear all about the history and engineering of the trains as he explored...
— CyndieRae, August 27, 2020