Lake Superior Railroad Museum506 W Michigan St
Duluth, MN 55802
Located in downtown Duluth at the intersection of 5th Ave W and Michigan St. just off of I-35.Get Directions
Voted by USA Today as the "BEST Transportation Museum in America" The Lake Superior Railroad Museum is a family friendly destination for railroad enthusiasts and historians young and old.
The collection includes the world's most powerful steam locomotives (the Mallet), the first steam engine in Minnesota (the William A. Crooks), one of the nation's largest displays of dining car china, cabooses, freight cars, a railway post office and much more! The Museum is housed in the historic Union Depot in downtown Duluth, a building on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tours feature interactive exhibits, two working collections of model trains and during the holiday season, an exhibit of Lionel toy trains. In summer and fall months ride a vintage electric trolley past Depot Square, an exhibit of 22 replicated storefronts based on Duluth in 1910. Guided tours are available.
Complete your experience with an unforgettable Lakefront Ride on the museum's excursion train on the North Shore Scenic Railroad running May through Mid October.
Hours & Dates
Summer Hours (May 30 - September 3)
- Monday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Tuesday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Thursday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Winter Hours (September 4 - May 29)
- Monday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Special Closures: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve at Noon, Christmas Day, New Years Eve at Noon, New Years Day, and snow-days that Duluth Schools are Closed
$12 Adults; $6 Children
- Air quality improvements
- Eco-friendly landscape/facility design
- Eco-friendly purchasing practices
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Organic or local food & beverage choices
- Transportation-related policies or programs
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Water conservation/wastewater management plan
- Accessible to people with disabilities
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
Meetings & Conferences
- Banquet facilities maximum capacity: 250
- Catering available
- Commercial air service nearby
- Exhibit space (sq ft): 5000
- Facility accommodates meetings for 30 or more
- Largest meeting room (sq ft): 1000
- Meeting/convention facilities maximum capacity: 45
- Number of meeting rooms: 5
Based on 463 reviews
If you or someone in your family enjoys trains, then you really need to stop in to this museum if you are in Duluth. This attraction features numerous ways to experience numerous types of train...
— workhardplayhard27, April 3, 2023
Fun experience for the entire family! Plan on bringing a strong bag to carry your pumpkin. The kids loved going through all of the different cars.
— alane2462, October 22, 2022
Good trip. We arrived at approximately 1:45 pm and made our way inside the museum. We purchased our tickets ahead of time on their website, and received our admission tickets upon checking in. We...
— PartyTheNightAway, September 25, 2022
While I'd heard about it, I had not really thought about visiting this museum until they started doing a series of shows on YouTube during the "COVID Closedown". I was impressed. Very impressed...
— Robert F B, September 22, 2022
The engines and cars are well restore. Seeing the train snow blower from the 1800's made my husband's day. Enjoy time walking around the tracks and visiting the gift shop.
— johnsonevv, August 29, 2022