Lake Superior Railroad Museum506 W Michigan St
Duluth, MN 55802
Located in downtown Duluth at the intersection of 5th Ave W and Michigan St. just off of I-35.Get Directions
Voted by USA Today as the "BEST Transportation Museum in America" The Lake Superior Railroad Museum is a family friendly destination for railroad enthusiasts and historians young and old.
The collection includes the world's most powerful steam locomotives (the Mallet), the first steam engine in Minnesota (the William A. Crooks), one of the nation's largest displays of dining car china, cabooses, freight cars, a railway post office and much more! The Museum is housed in the historic Union Depot in downtown Duluth, a building on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tours feature interactive exhibits, two working collections of model trains and during the holiday season, an exhibit of Lionel toy trains. In summer and fall months ride a vintage electric trolley past Depot Square, an exhibit of 22 replicated storefronts based on Duluth in 1910. Guided tours are available.
Complete your experience with an unforgettable Lakefront Ride on the museum's excursion train on the North Shore Scenic Railroad running May through Mid October.
Hours & Dates
Summer Hours (May 25 - September 7)
- Monday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Winter Hours (September 7 - May 31)
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Closed Thanksgiving & Christmas Day.
$12 Adults; $6 Children
- Air quality improvements
- Eco-friendly landscape/facility design
- Eco-friendly purchasing practices
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Organic or local food & beverage choices
- Transportation-related policies or programs
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Water conservation/wastewater management plan
- Accessible to disabled
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
Meetings & Conferences
- Banquet facilities maximum capacity: 250
- Catering available
- Commercial air service nearby
- Exhibit space (sq ft): 5000
- Facility accommodates meetings for 30 or more
- Largest meeting room (sq ft): 1000
- Meeting/convention facilities maximum capacity: 45
- Number of meeting rooms: 5
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 426 reviews
It is pretty fun and the rides are just as fun. The cost are pretty reasonable especially for a small family.
— Dean2341, January 17, 2020
I loved it that we could enter the rail cars and see everything up close. A display of different china used on different rail lines, private rail cars and more. I especially liked the engineering...
— Sue S, January 6, 2020
Plan on spending a little time. Take a ride on a train up the shore to Two Harbors or dinner train. Then go back in and see what you missed the first time.
— kayts231, December 22, 2019
Lots to see and do here. We came over the MEA weekend. They had a sliding apparatus and face painting, which the kids enjoyed. 5 year olds were not so impressed with the old trains compared to the...
— JoeNathan9249, November 3, 2019
We went on the Pumpkin Patch ride in mid-October. Everyone loved it. Before and after the ride we spent more than 4 hours exploring the museum. Great event for the whole family.
— Lynn P, October 25, 2019