Myre-Big Island State Park19499 780th Avenue
Albert Lea, MN 56007
Located 3 miles southeast of Albert Lea on County Highway 38. Interstates 90 and 35 intersect just north of Albert Lea. Both interstates have signs directing visitors to the park.Get Directions
Visit during spring and fall to view the many species of migrating birds that use the wetlands, prairies and woodlands. The Esker Trail is spectacular any time of the year, and the Big Island Trail is another visitor favorite. 16 miles of hiking and 7 miles of snowmobile trails. A 6 mile paved trail connects to Blazing Star State Trail.
Hours & DatesPark permits: $35 annual, $26 second vehicle, $12 handicapped, or $7 daily. Camping fees are separate.
Book an online reservation 24 hours a day.
Phone reservations can be made by calling 866-857-2757 (TTY: 952-936-4008) Apr–Sep, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. D
- Open in fall
- Open in winter
On-Site Facilities & Services
- Located on a lake or river
- Bike trail
- Canoes or kayaks available
- Cross-country ski trail (groomed)
- Fishing boats available
- Hiking trail
- Lake/river access (boat ramp)
- Snowmobile trail (groomed)
- Snowshoes available
- Eco-friendly purchasing practices
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Accessible to disabled
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
Number/Type of Campsites
- Number of camping cabins: 1
- Number of camping cabins available in winter: 1
- Number of RV/trailer-only sites available in winter: 4
- Number of tent-only sites available in winter: 4
- Total number of campsites: 93
- Total number of campsites available in winter: 10
- Camping accessible to disabled
- Flush toilets in campground
- Group camp facilities
- Hookups available in winter
- Hot showers in campground
- Pets allowed in campsite
- Sanitary dump station
- Secluded campsites
- State Parks Campgrounds
Length of Stay
- Daily site rental
- Seasonal site rental
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 77 reviews
We stopped in to check out the park and to do some hiking. We did the big island loop. It was an excellent trail around big island. Most of the trail was dirt, but some was paved for...
— AndyB5542, July 23, 2021
We stopped here on our way to Oregon. What a great visual break from the fields of corn! Quiet woods and good views of Albert Lea lake as we followed the loop trail on the island. We saw wild...
— edtechgirl, July 22, 2021
We stopped in this park while on our way to Lake Superior. The description sounded really nice.
However, none of the water outlets around the campground was working.
Sites were electric only and...
— Sunshine693034, July 17, 2021
RACCONS!!!! My family and I decided to stop and camp at Myre-Big Island State Park on our way back home to Ohio. When we arrived we were greeted by the most wonderful lady who checked us in and...
— DALIBERTI92, June 28, 2021
Very windy. Very dusty. A ton of traffic constantly driving throughout park. Very damp. Never dried out. Power went out. Restrooms were nice.
— 335paulag, June 5, 2021