Tettegouche State Park5702 Highway 61
Silver Bay, MN 55614
The park is located 58 miles northeast of Duluth. Entrance to the park is 4 1/2 miles northeast of Silver Bay on U.S. Highway 61.Get Directions
This park is a spectacular destination. Hike out to the rocky, wind-swept Shovel Point or back into one of the four, quiet inland lakes. And, of course, don't miss the beautiful High Falls on the Baptism River, the highest waterfall fully inside Minnesota's borders. 23 mi of hiking trails, 12 miles of groomed ski trails and 12 miles of snowmobile trails. Hike-in to one of four rental cabins on Mic Mac Lake or drive to the Illgen Falls Cabin.
Hours & DatesThe best time to contact the park is daily from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., when staff are available. Call the park at 218-226-6365.
- Daily camping maximum: $23.00
- Daily camping minimum: $17.00
Park permits: $35 annual, $26 second vehicle, $12 handicapped, or $7 daily. Camping fees are separate.
- Open in fall
- Open in winter
On-Site Facilities & Services
- Located on a lake or river
- Bike trail
- Canoes or kayaks available
- Cross-country ski trail (groomed)
- Hiking trail
- Lake/river access (boat ramp)
- Snowmobile trail (groomed)
- Snowshoes available
- Eco-friendly landscape/facility design
- Eco-friendly purchasing practices
- Energy efficiency/conservation
- Waste reduction/reuse/recycling
- Water conservation/wastewater management plan
- Accessible to disabled
- Can accommodate groups of 45 or more
Number/Type of Campsites
- Number of tent-only sites: 20
- Number of tent-only sites available in winter: 6
- Total number of campsites: 48
- Total number of campsites available in winter: 12
- 50 amp
- Camping accessible to disabled
- Flush toilets in campground
- Group camp facilities
- Hot showers in campground
- Lodge/central building
- Pets allowed in campsite
- Secluded campsites
- State Parks Campgrounds
Length of Stay
- Daily site rental
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 196 reviews
Upper falls is super worth the hike. They said it was a 60 degree incline it was not even close to that. Our kids 7 & 11 had no problems. The bridge by the falls is worth the hike by itself. Going...
— Dan S, October 18, 2019
We really enjoyed this park. We stopped at the visitor center and hiked to Shovel Point and then to the Baptism River. Loved them both! Really beautiful. Then we went across the road and hiked High...
— karensSouthernIN, October 8, 2019
We read up on this before we got there, and heard there was a shorter trail to the Lower Falls, and a trail to the Upper Falls. We asked a ranger, specifically mentioning I had had back surgery and...
— Marla A, September 30, 2019
We enjoyed Palisades Head and the Shovel point head on a evening driving to Grand Portage. It was a nice stop; the visitor center at the Shovel Point/State Park entrance was nice and had...
— warrenville111, September 22, 2019
We hiked up to the High Falls in late May and it was quiet, beautiful and not at all crowded. Temp was in 60s but once we got going it warmed up fast. As always layers are the answer. This is a...
— JBatMN, September 14, 2019